I sort of have an obsession with coconut lately. I didn’t used to particularly care for it, I dont know if it was a texture thing or what, but it seems like lately I can’t get enough of it.
When I saw this recipe on cupcake project I knew I needed to make these. They were so good, and since half of my kiddos do not yet share my obsession with coconut, there was plenty to go around. I did modify the recipe a bit by leaving out the rum in the origonal recipe and subbing rum extract instead. I just added a little more coconut milk to make up for the lost moisture.
The frosting recipe is doubled so you will have plenty of frosting. If you don’t like as much frosting as I do you can half the recipe below, but I say the more frosting the better.
I hope you will enjoy these. I certainly did, and cannot wait to make them again.
- 1 C + 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- ¼ C pineapple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 1½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ C butter, room temp.
- 1 C + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 C shredded coconut
- 1 C crushed pineapple
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2- 8oz pkgs cream cheese
- ½ C butter
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk
- splash of coconut extract (optional)
- For the cupcakes:
- In a small bowl combine coconut milk, pineapple juice, vanilla and rum extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to the sugar mixture. Beat well after each addition.
- Fold in the coconut and pineapple.
- Fill cupcake cups ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 min.
- For the frosting
- Bring cream cheese and butter to room temperature.
- Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar gradually.
- Mix in coconut milk and extract if using.
- You are ready to frost.
- After cupcakes are frosted sprinkle with toasted coconut.